Saturday, April 10, 2010

A night on the town

Am i going to sit here and bore you with my experiences right now? well im waiting for a package to come and to go to work at 4 and it is only 2 so therefore yes i am.

Yesterday, i went to New York City. I was going to see the Rocket Summer at Highline Ballroom. I almost didnt go but thats a totally different story. I got on the train and then the hour and 20 minute ride began. Once i got off the train, i was in Penn Station and then went to go to the venue. My mom and her boyfriend walked down with me to the venue, and that took about 30 minutes. Every 10 feet i walked i had to look back and see where my mom was at, because she walks slow and i walk really fast. She kept telling me to slow down. After 17 blocks down, and 2 blocks over, i was at the venue.

There was a line, not a big one, but a small one with about 13 people in it. They were all girls, i was the first guy there. My mom was waiting there with me for no reason. I told her the car show was all the way back near Penn Station and she got angry at me. These two girls came next in line after me. One girl was like asian-ish and looked like my friend Katrina, and the other was a pretty and cute girl that looked like my ex-girlfriend (except with blonde hair). She looked similar but not exactly the same. I'm over my ex, but it was just weird she kinda looked like her, but she was pretty which is all that matters. (she was also wearing a Harry Potter shirt which reminded me of Rachel for some reason haha) Anyway they had us move in closer to the venue, and i was still the only guy in line, trapped behind the girls, staying to myself because i couldnt talk to any of them because i didnt know any of them and it would be awkward to bust into their conversations. I waited for a little bit, i heard Bryce soundchecking, and he was playing "Hills and Valleys" To try to kinda segway my way into those two girls conversations, i said to the asian one, " iwas thinking the same thing" when she started doing the clappping part to that song. But that is where it ended. I was wearing a short sleeve tee shirt and shorts and it was about 45 degrees. I was the only one in the city wearing shorts. It was slightly cold and my knees were shaking for a little bit, but once it was 5:40, the doors opened 10 minutes late.

Once i went up the stairs and the guy scanned my ticket, i went straight to the merch booth to buy a shirt. I looked at the shirts real quick and choose a blue one. i asked for a medium, they didnt have it. she asked me if a small would fit, and i took, and she said if it doesnt u can bring it back. i went to the stage and i was the 2nd person from the stage. it was awesome, but i was also surronded by all girls. I put the shirt on, it fit, and then waited til the opening acts starter. The first band was Socratic. They were great! from the first song they played i knew i liked them. They played about 6 songs and were cool guys. The 2nd band was "lions of ido" i didnt like them too much. The girl bassist looked like she wasnt havent fun and didnt want to be there. The one guitarist had no emotions. the drummer was good, the random guy was too into it (and he stole Jon Foreman's tom drum bash) Towards the end of their set, the singer started raping this girls head. He grabs her head and puts his next to hers and like hugs her head and put his mouth near her ear. it was just really really weird. I asked her after "how awkward was that?" and she was like very! oh gotta love weird people haha

Then Bryce finally came on. I'm not going to go through every song in the order it went because that would get long, and i dont remember all the songs in order. He did play a decent amount of older stuff that i did not know, so i kinda felt left out. The pretty girl i mentioned before looked like she had an amazing time and she was in front of bryce's little stand thing so she constantly saw him and him in front of her. He had his little intro thing then he played "Hills and Valleys" it was really good. then he played "do you feel" i love that song and he did well. Next he played a cover of some song he heard on the radio, apparently alot of people knew it cuz they were singing along. Next was "you gotta believe". I missed my chance to go on stage and ask him to play it, but he plays it differently than me so i would mess it up. He played "Save" next which is a song i know, but am not too fond with. it is a good song just i rarely listened to it. He went to the drums after the song was over, and recorded a beat that he looped. He did the same with the bass, then with guitar. Then they stopped it, and played "break it out" which was a fun song. After that i kinda forget. i know he played some older songs, one of which was "cross your heart" He played a song off his new album which i cant remember. Ah now i do, it was "i need a break. . . .but i'd rather have a breakthrough" HE also came into the crowd and played "i want something to live for" then he crowd surfed to the stage which was awesome and i helped him kinda get on stage. He took the picture of the concert on his Iphone then he played more songs. He supposed last song of the set was "So, in this hour" which is an amazing song. He did the "You tell me to live" outro too. He left the stage and came back for an encore. He did a medly of things on his piano. he did alot of older stuff for his encore. he did do the outro to "japanese exchange student" though, which was fun. i kept trying to get him to play "freebird" as a joke because of that jon foreman show where the guy tells him to play that. his band came back on and they played "so much love" Then his last song was "light" which was awesome and a good way to end the show.

i tried to get a setlist, but the girls attacked it when the guy threw it into the crowd. they deserve it more than me bc they are probably bigger fans. I had to wait on line for merch because i wanted to get the vinyl. and i did. i got the talk to the singer of socratic for like a minute then i got a bad picture of us together bc my phone was being dumb. but he was awesome and cool with it. i told vinny, another guy from socratic, he did a good show. then my mom told me to walk to penn station which took me like 15 mins because i walk fast. i was tired. i ate something, got back on the train and went home and got sleep.

that was in hope i didnt bore you to death.

Peace'n'Love
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment